Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Minsk Affair

Since Bina left I’ve been having an affair. I had feared that being here alone would make me do some crazy things, as solitude tends to do with the restless, but I never expected this.

This is a Minsk motorcycle. My affair.



Everyone in Hanoi has a motorbike of some kind. Mostly they’re scooters or mopeds, but some people have motorcycles. The Minsk is an old Russian-built motorcycle that you’ll find all over Vietnam but mostly in the countryside. The people in the cities hate them. In fact, the Vietnamese really look down on the Minsk. Not only are they considered an old vestige of Russian influence, but they’re big, dirty, loud and smelly. However, there are a few Minsk loyalists that really can’t live without them, and this is what makes the Minsk so unique. In fact, the Minsk has it’s own fan club. It’s called the Minsk Club and it’s incredibly active.

Hanoi Minsk Club


I acquired this Minsk by calling a number posted in a café. The girl selling it said she would rent it if nobody wanted to buy it so I went to see it. My goal was to get out into the countryside and explore some of Vietnam’s more scenic wonders. I envisioned myself an Easy Rider with the winds of freedom blowing in my face, a romantic adventurer “finding myself” and being one with the road. (I still haven’t been out of the city limits.) But my starry-eyed dreams persist nonetheless.

I’ve recently decided to join Bina back in the states until she’s recovered from her back injury. I miss her too much and can’t continue this affair any longer. Despite all the Minsk can give, it’s no match for the allure of Bina. I haven’t told the Minsk yet. But it’s been a fleeting fancy for both of us and we must end it. But it has been a fun ride.

3 comments:

VVM said...

PLEASE come back to Friends! Rock & Mythology is really something this year--like 20 new kids! We miss you!

Jaya said...

Yay! 10th street was getting lonely. I need someone to run into.

VVM said...

WE NEED OUR FISH TO MAINTAIN HEALTHY LEVELS OF... Uh... MERCURY!

wait...